How do I apply?
Here is a description of the application procedure in 5 easy steps:
Step 1: Application documents
We need the following documents from your child:
- our application form. You can find it here.
- two school reports
- a personal statement written by your child (in English, approx. 1-2 pages)
- a nice photo (preferably sent electronically)
Please send these documents either
- by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or enter the information and upload the documents via our website
- or by post to:
Barbara Glasmacher Internationale Schulberatungs GmbH
Herzogstr. 60, 80803 Munich, Germany
Step 2: Student profile and personal consultation
- We offer personal consulations in Munich, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Berlin and Wiesbaden or online via Zoom or Skype.
- During the meeting, we will discuss important details such as best start-date, length of stay, subjects, sports and other interests, costs, etc.
Step 3: School recommendations and introduction to schools
- We will recommend 5-6 boarding schools that we consider best suited to what you and your child are looking for.
- At the same time, we will send an first enquiry to these schools based on the documents we received from you and our discussions during the consultation.
Step 4: Invitation to interview and visit
- After reviewing the application documents, several schools will invite your child to an
personal or online interview (e.g. via Zoom, Teams, Skype or similar).
- Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, we recommend attending one of the virtual open days and/or webinars offered by your favoured schools, in addition to an individual online interview with the schools' representatives
- Personal on-site visits are only possible to a limited extent at the moment
- We will be happy to co-ordinate the interviews with headmasters, teachers and houseparents for you and send your child some tips for the interviews in advance. If you decide to travel, you will also receive some tips for hotels or Bed & Breakfasts close to the schools from us.
- At this point our administrative fee of € 238.00 incl. VAT applies regardless of whether a placement ultimately comes about or not.
Step 5: Testing and place offers
Some schools offer places just based on the interviews, others require a written test after the interview. If a place is offered directly, then you only have to:
- complete the school's Registration Form and pay a one-off registration fee of approximately £100-200 directly to the school
- receive the official Offer Letter from the school including Acceptance Forms and Terms & Conditions. Enrolment is completed upon submission of the signed forms and payment of a deposit (deposit amounts vary from 1,000 GBP to up to a full term's fees).
If enrtance tests are required, then you have to:
- register your child (see above)
- organise invigilation of the entrance tests (usually a teacher from the local school or a lawyer/notary)
- the test papers are emailed directly to the test invigilator by the British boarding school.
- If the test scores are satisfactory, your child will be offered a place at the school (see above).
- Many schools do not have firm application deadlines - you can often gain a place at a reputable school late in the day.
- However, if you do have a particular boarding school in mind we recommend you start the application process 12-18 months in advance. Please bear in mind that some schools limit the number of students they take from a given nationality. Therefore, we recommend starting the application process early.